Central Ohio is full of beautiful architecture of both modern and classic styles. Some of the best places we showcase this design is in our schools. Whether they are new buildings or historic landmarks, here are 13 of the most beautiful high schools in Central Ohio.
East High School
Located at 1500 E. Broad St. on the east side of Columbus, East High School was originally constructed in 1922 by architecture partnership Howell & Thomas. The school underwent $28.2 million worth of renovations that were completed in 2009.
Cristo Rey Columbus High School
The Cristo Rey High School building was originally built in 1899 as Ohio School for the Deaf on 400 E. Town St. The building is on the National Register of Historic Places. It was established as Cristo Rey High School in 2013. The building was purchased by Cristo Rey and then they hired Columbus architectural firm Schooley Caldwell Associates to manage the extensive renovations needed to restore the building to be used as a school again.
West High School
West High School is located at 179 S. Powell Avenue on the West side of Columbus. It was designed by Howard Dwight Smith and completed in 1927. The third floor North West addition wasn’t added until 1953.
Bexley High School
Bexley High School moved from it’s Main Street location in 1932, what is now Montrose Elementary. The new building was constructed to fit more students along with modern accommodations such as chemistry labs, industrial design spaces, and athletic fields. The current building was designed by O.D. Howard architect and built by Robert H. Evans Co. General Contractors. Bexley High School was built next to the existing Elementary and Junior High Schools and then later joined together by the cafeteria.
Columbus School For Girls
The current location of Columbus School for Girls in Bexley was established in 1946. Major renovations were made in 1969 for a pool, a lower school, a fine-arts facility, and more. The main campus has a full ten acres of land. The most recent renovations were made in 2012 for a new athletic complex.
Saint Charles Preparatory School
St. Charles was founded in 1923 as a seminary and moved to its current 20-acre campus location on East Broad St. in 1925, boarding Alum Creek on the Westside. The main building was constructed with French influence to form the shape of an “H”, dedicated to Bishop Hartley, with the tiled cloister connecting the two wings at the front. The arches in the colonnade and the brickwork reflects a Mediterranian look. It was one of the first buildings in Ohio constructed using the new stell enforced concrete method. The gymnasium building was added in 1930 and a new chapel was created in 1937, as well as other small renovations throughout the years.
New Albany High School
The current New Albany high school, located at 7600 Fodor Rd, was built and opened in 1996 with renovations in 2002. The building was designed in a Georgian architectural style to follow the popular architectural style of the ’90s. The building was constructed with a campus-style idea on 120 acres of land and the buildings are connected with tree-lined walkways.
Grandview Heights High School
Grandview Heights high school was built in 1923 as a high school during the day and a community building in all other hours. This was a common trend of the time. In 1924 one of the second-floor rooms become the Grandview Public Library. W.B. Ittner from St. Louis was the architect on the project and their firm was nationally recognized specifically for designing school buildings. The building was constructed with classical Georgian architecture. Grandview has had three notable expansions since it’s original build and these include the 1931 expansion of both bings to each side of the building, the 1957 addition of the gymnasium, and the 1971 addition of the industrial arts wing.
Africentric Early College
Africentric’s new campus at 3223 Allegheny Ave spans over 55 acres. Africentric is a Columbus City School’s specialty school that incorporated elements of African culture in both the interior and exterior of the building that mirror the school’s specialty curriculum. Some of the brick patterns on the exterior walls are reminiscent of an African cloth called “kente”.
South High School
South High School was built in 1922 with a classical style by Richard, McCarty, & Bulford architecture group. The building was created to hold up to 2,000 students. The building underwent three renovations to prepare for 21st-century learning but kept its architectural style.
Hamilton Township High School
The current building of Hamilton Township high school was completed in 2009 by SHP Leading Design. The new building was constructed to pay tribute to the original 1939 Hamilton Township high school building. The brickwork, bell house, and two cupolas are reminiscent of the features of the previous building. Hamilton Township shows their school pride in a 53′ x 8′ mural depicting the township history, painted by Allan Bender of Blinc Studios in Toronto, Ontario and then shipped and installed in 2009 with the completion of the building.
Columbus North International High School
Frank Packard designed and built Columbus North High School in 1922. In 2013 the building was reconstructed as North International High School by Jim Butz. In 1987, North High School was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Linden Mckinley STEM Academy
Linden McKinley high school was originally constructed by Howard Dwight Smith in 1926 as Mckinley Jr. High School. Four additions and multiple renovations were completed over the years and it was finally renovated in 2009 by Moody Nolan to support a complete STEM curriculum.