I saw a graphic floating around the internet that really got me thinking. To sum up, it basically said that there are many lanes to travel in when it comes to helping create actual, tangible change in this country.
For some people, the road to ending systemic racism and injustice is protesting. That’s the lane they feel most comfortable and effective in. For others, it may be donating to worthy causes. The point of the image was that there are a variety of ways we can all be making a difference and standing up for what is right. There are many ways to show that Black Lives Matter, including shopping at black-owned businesses.
Supporting black-owned businesses around the city is just one of the many ways you can be a part of the change. Central Ohio has a wide variety of black-owned businesses, from restaurants to gyms to retail spots.
- Anitavee’s Home Decor: Custom printed African-inspired home decor, plants, bags, and more.
- City Living: Online furniture and home decor store
- The African Accent: Etsy shop specializing in skin care.
- Rust Martin: Bespoke/custom menswear.
- Jamison & Bexley: Children’s clothes
- Sole Classics: footwear, apparel, and accessories
- Battiste LaFleur Galleria: Florist, including weddings and events
- Elle Brands Jewelry and Accessories: jewelry
- Yelo Apple: plants
- Starstruk Apparel: apparel and accessories
- Chunky Armadillo: bohemian women’s clothing boutique
- 86 & Norman: bags, wallets, & plants
- Breckenridge Candle Company: candles, gifts, and more
- Splendor Revival: vintage, handmade, upcycled, and contemporary goods
Health & Fitness
- Neighborhood Boxing Club: boxing gym
- RawYoga614: yoga for all levels with donation-based classes available
- M Nicholson Hip Hop Fitness: Hip hop/dance fitness
- Colubmus Womens Care: OB/GYN and beauty services
- Punch Fitness: gym
- Ryze Athletics: Gym/Basketball/Wellness
Food & Drink
- Lalibela: Ethiopian cuisine
- Lincoln Cafe: coffee
- Shrimp Lips: seafood
- Hoyo’s Kitchen: Somali cuisine
- B&K Smokehouse: barbecue
- Creole Kitchen: Creole & Cajun cuisine
- J’s Sweet Treats & Wedding Cakes: desserts, baked goods, shakes, and wedding cakes.
- The Pit BBQ Grille: barbecue, brisket, and more
- Way Down Yonder: New Orleans-inspired cuisine
- Upper Cup Coffee Co.: coffee & sandwiches
- Superchef’s: breakfast & more
- Flavor 91: burgers & more
- Bake Me Happy: gluten-free baked goods
- Buns & Brews: Gourmet hot dogs
- Ena’s Caribbean Kitchen: authentic Caribbean cuisine
- The Lifestyle Cafe: plant-based restaurant
- Donna’s Delicious Dozen: made-to-order donuts
- African Paradise Restaurant: African cuisine
- Chacon’s Sweet Treats & Good Eats: baked goods and catering services
- Nile Vegan: plant-based health foods
- Intercontinental Restaurant: West African cuisine
- & Juice Co.: Cold pressed juices & nutrition
- Willowbeez Soulveg: Vegan food
- Links-N-Lemonade: Gourmet hot dogs
- Kennedy’s Kakes: baked goods, custom cakes, and wedding cakes.
- Twinado Kitchen’s Jerk Shack: Jamaican cuisine
- Can’t Believe It’s Vegan: plant-based restaurant
- Just Chicken: fried chicken
- JNA Bread Bakery: breads & other baked goods
- Too Good Eats: vegan-friendly frozen pops
- JD’s Kitchen: soul food
- Lawsheas Southern Fish & Ribs: soul food
- The Good Kitchen 614: soul food
- LaGlory’s Soulfood Cafe: soul food
- Where It All Vegan: Vegan soul food
- Bibi’s Patties: Haitian
- Kreative Treats: Dessert
- Creole 2 Geaux: Creole and Cajun food, fast casual
Art, Entertainment, and Cultural Organizations
- Black Art Plus: African American art, books, and gifts.
- William H. Thomas Gallery: Black and African art gallery
- Streetlight Guild: performing arts organization that curates events across disciplines with an emphasis on Columbus-based, original, and underrepresented voices.
- Ohio Black Dance: arts organization focusing on Black Dance tradition and the advancement of dance artists of color.
- Abstraction Gallery by Brenden : original abstract art and art inspired accessories
- Jehan LLC: photography
- Comfort Photograpy: wedding photography
Event Vendors & Venues
- Silver Confetti Events: event coordination, design, and balloon boutique.
- Phenix Banquet Center: event venue
- Indelible Affairs & Floral Design: florist
Beauty & Self-Care
- Replenish The Spa: spa treatments and yoga
- 2 Natural Sisters: natural products for face, body, and mind.
- K Manley Studio: salon services, lash extensions, permanent make-up and more.
- Organic Essentials by Universal Hands: soaps, scrubs, and more.
- Koko Bella: lash extensions, sugaring, brow shaping, facials, and more.
- The Hair Chest: Hair care and growth/li>
- JM Botanicals: All-natural bath & beauty
- Browtique: Eyebrow salon
- Regal Beauty: beauty supply store
- JPS Print: commercial printing and marketing
- Parsons Animal Clinic: Vet & grooming
- Finance Creatives: financial consulting, accounting, bookkeeping, and more.
- Pet Finesse 614: pet grooming and boarding.
- Shade Media: modern day sex education and intimacy training
- Velocity Construction: commercial construction services
- Print Upp: promotional material & apparel
This list will be updated periodically. If you’d like to suggest a business, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, check out these additional resources:
- Columbus Black
- Central Ohio African American Chamber of Commerce
- Support Black Owned
- Economic & Community Development Institute
A daily Columbus email you'll actually love. ❤️
Every morning we compile the best of Columbus news & events and deliver it in a quick 5 minute read that sets you up with everything you need to be a well informed Columbusian. Columbusite. Cbussian? Whatever, give it a try, you'll love it.